Werner Celebrates 100 Years of Innovation
Werner, a WernerCo brand, is the world leader in ladders and manufacturer of climbing products and fall protection equipment and today, the Werner name is celebrating 100 years of innovation. The Werner brand is commemorating a century developing leading-edge products that help people work faster and safer at home and on jobsites around the world.
Since the Werner name was founded in 1922, it has grown into a global brand with distribution in North America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe. Werner’s extensive portfolio includes ladders, scaffolding, pump jacks, stages, planks, work platforms, accessories, and fall protection equipment.
Founded by R.D. Werner, the brand began as a carpet and flooring supply company, including metal floor and wall moldings. Since its inception, Werner’s state-of-the-art products have focused on the needs of end-users by exceeding expectations. Key highlights include:
- In 1939, anticipating metal shortages as World War II began, Werner became one of the first companies to extrude plastic and, throughout the war, served as a prime contractor for the U.S. Navy manufacturing plastic inhibitor strips for rockets;
- During the 1950s and ’60s, Werner unveiled innovations like ladders that didn’t require assembly for homeowners and Alflo twist-proof rung joints designed to offer a stronger rung-to-rail connection for greater stability. In addition, Werner pioneered the field of fiberglass pultrusion and introduced fiberglass ladders to the climbing industry;
- Over the next several decades, Werner made several key acquisitions, building the company’s product portfolio and extending its market reach. In 2006, the company launched the MT series of multi-position ladders featuring an adjustable telescoping design. Werner’s portfolio of multi-position ladders continues to grow with the recent introduction of the Multi-Max Pro, the ultimate 5-in-1 design that easily converts to an extension ladder, leaning ladder, double-sided twin step ladder, stairway ladder or 90-degree wall ladder;
- 2007 marked the incorporation of “New Werner Holding Co” that carried forward the Werner brand name and tradition of excellence;
- In 2012, Werner expanded its product line to include fall protection equipment; and
- In anticipation of an upcoming American National Standards Institute (ANSI) code change, the company announced updates to the Bantam and Max Patrol™ Self-Retracting Lifeline families in 2021.
Werner has extended its commitment to safety, performance, and advancement beyond product development and into the community through numerous sponsorships and initiatives. The brand has been a long-standing sponsor of the men’s and women’s college basketball tournaments, providing custom-designed Werner ladders that are used by the winning teams in the post-game net cutting ceremonies. Werner is also a proud sponsor of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA), and the Naismith Men’s and Women’s Coach of the Year awards.
For the past six years, Werner has also been heavily involved in National Ladder Safety Month, which takes place every March in the U.S. This annual event is the only movement dedicated exclusively to promoting the safe use of ladders at home and on the jobsite through education, training, and resources.
Additionally, each year, Werner offers on-site and virtual training to thousands of professionals nationwide in support of the Occupational Safety & Health Administration’s (OSHA) National Safety Stand-Down Initiative.
For more information, visit https://www.wernerworldwide.com.
Share on Socials!
Sign up to receive our industry publications for FREE!