Dentec Safety Q&A
1. Dentec Safety’s ICETRED™ Iced Traction Devices go beyond other types of ice cleats to deliver greater safety for many workers in winter conditions. What specific types of jobs can benefit most from wearing Dentec’s ice cleats?
ICETRED™ Traction devices, also known as ice grips or ice cleats, provide much-needed traction on icy surfaces, for a wide range of outdoor work environments.
Since ICETRED™ Traction devices come in three different variations: Full sole, mid-sole for defined heels and another for non-defined heels; as well as a heel style. They are designed to fit over your everyday work boots or shoes in just a few seconds, and any outdoor workplace with icy conditions is a prime candidate for the use of ice traction devices.
Here is a list or applications where slip hazards from ice occur.
2. What materials are used in ICETRED cleats and how do they help ensure wearers’ comfort and safety?
ICETRED™ Ice Cleats are made of a durable natural rubber that is incredibly tough but able to maintain its flexibility without cracking in extreme cold temperatures down to -40°C/ºF.
All ICETRED™ Ice Cleats use strategically positioned tungsten carbide spikes to provide excellent ice traction performance to help prevent workplace and recreational injuries. Tungsten carbide is 10 times stronger than rolled steel.
3. Why is it so important for workers to be able to transition from icy surfaces to those with concrete or asphalt?
It is crucial for workers to be able to transition from icy surfaces to concrete or asphalt for several reasons:
- Reduced Slip and Fall Risks: Icy surfaces pose a significant risk of slips and falls. Workers transitioning to concrete or asphalt need reliable traction to prevent accidents and injuries, as these surfaces can be slippery even without ice.
- Seamless Movement: Workers often need to move between different surfaces during their tasks. Having ice cleats that can effectively adapt to varying terrains ensures that workers can move seamlessly and safely without the need to change footwear.
- Productivity and Efficiency: The ability to transition from icy to non-icy surfaces without changing footwear improves productivity. Workers can focus on their tasks without interruptions, saving time and effort associated with swapping footwear.
- Versatility: Many job sites have a mix of conditions, with some areas prone to ice accumulation while others are not. Workers in various industries, such as construction or delivery, benefit from versatile ice cleats that allow them to navigate different surfaces without hindrance.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Instead of requiring workers to switch between different footwear for specific surfaces, having ice cleats that work on various terrains can be more cost-effective for both employers and employees.
- Adaptability to Changing Conditions: Weather conditions can change rapidly, and having ice cleats that work on icy as well as regular surfaces ensures that workers are prepared for different environmental challenges.
- Safety Compliance: In the workplaces, there are regulations or safety standards that require workers to wear appropriate footwear for specific conditions. Ice cleats that can transition between surfaces help ensure compliance with such safety requirements.
4. The ICETRED™ devices can be used in many different industries and for various types of jobs. Let’s start with construction. How do these ice cleats help workers on construction sites in the winter months?
Durability – Construction sites can be harsh and demanding environments. Choose ice traction devices that are built to withstand the rigors of construction work. Look for ice cleats that are durable; resistant to corrosion; and that can withstand exposure to construction materials on site and extreme cold temperatures.
Comfort – Construction workers often work long shifts and are on their feet for extended periods of time. Ensure the ice traction devices you select use a material that is soft and malleable underfoot, like ICETRED™’s. Devices that are made of rigid plastic may cause soreness and discomfort, which can lead to workers not wearing them. They should be lightweight, fit comfortably over work boots and be adjustable, to accommodate a range of sizes.
Surfaces – Construction workers may encounter a variety of surfaces on the job, including concrete, gravel, metal grating and more. ICETRED ICETRED™ Traction devices provide traction on a range of surfaces commonly found on construction sites.
Spark Hazard – On construction sites, workers may be exposed to risks of flammability and ignition. In these environments, it is crucial to ensure the ice traction devices used on site are third-party tested to not cause a spark on contact and are suitable for use in these high-risk situations like ICETRED™ ice cleats.
Temperatures – The temperature range in which the ice cleats will be used is another important consideration. ICETRED™ Traction Devices are made from materials that can endure extremely cold conditions and remain functional and maintains flexibility in extreme temperatures (-40°C/ºF).
5. It seems like delivery drivers are everywhere nowadays and, of course, postal workers are part of that type of service. What are some of the advantages of wearing ICETRED™ cleats for postal workers or delivery people?
- Ease of Use:Ice cleats should be easy to put on and take off to allow for smooth transitions between walking, driving and making deliveries. ICETRED™ Traction Devices’ slip-on designs, with convenient fasteners and methods, allow for quick removal when returning indoors or entering a delivery vehicle. The ICETRED™ mid-sole and heel-traction devices are ideal for transition from outdoor to indoor applications and when getting in and out of vehicles, because you can slide the products off the sole of the foot quickly and easily.
- Comfort: Like construction workers, delivery drivers and postal workers spend long days on their feet, so comfort is essential. ICETRED™ traction devices are lightweight and can provide comfort during long shifts. The ICETRED™ mid-sole products are made of a rubber material that feels like you are walking and standing on anti-fatigue matting.
- Proper Fit – Make sure the ice cleats you select are compatible with the footwear worn by delivery drivers and postal workers. ICETRED™ Ice cleats come in various sizes and models with adjustable straps to ensure a secure fit and accommodate different sizes. This is particularly important when ice cleats are shared between multiple users.
- Surfaces – Delivery routes often include a variety of surface types, such as sidewalks, driveways that may have a grade, roads and steps. The ICETRED™ mid-sole ice cleats come in two different thicknesses to fit footwear with either a non-defined heel or a more defined heel. The mid-sole and heel ice cleats are ideal for short-term exposure to outdoor winter conditions where you are moving in and out of buildings or vehicles. The mid-sole pad can easily be rotated to the top of the foot when stepping indoors or driving a vehicle.Storage – Delivery drivers and postal workers will need to store their ice traction devices when not in use. ICETRED™ Traction Devices can be compactly folded or stored in a vehicle without taking up much space.
6. Can ice cleats be shared by multiple users? If so, what are some considerations before purchasing/wearing shared cleats?
Yes, ICETRED™ Traction Devices can be shared between workers. Both the mid-sole and heel designs have universal sizing, designed to fit over a variety of footwear, making it easy to swap between users.
7. What are some of the advantages of ICETRED™ cleats over other brands/types?
- Made from durable, natural rubber and with tungsten carbide spikes, they provide maximum traction in even the harshest conditions. Our heel-only, mid-sole and full-sole ICETRED™ ice cleats are all designed to enable you to walk and work more confidently in winter conditions.
- Maximum traction to prevent slips and falls
- All ICETRED™ Ice Cleats use strategically positioned tungsten carbide spikes to provide excellent ice traction performance to help prevent workplace and recreational injuries.
- Provides outstanding traction on ice and snow
- Most effective when transitioning on and off ice
- Also provides traction on concrete and asphalt surfaces
- Tungsten carbide is 10 times stronger than rolled steel
- Wears longer and holds its ice-piercing edge better than steel spikes or screw heads
- NOT a spark hazard! Spikes are third-party tested not to cause a spark on contact and can be used in gas groups A – D CSA C22.2 No. 213-17 combustibility testing protocol.
- They actually become sharper with greater wear
- Rubber traction studs offer excellent traction on snow
- Durable design for harsh winter conditions
- Designed to withstand heavy use in the harshest winter conditions, the ICETRED™ Ice Cleats are made of a durable natural rubber that is incredibly tough but able to maintain its flexibility without cracking in extreme cold temperatures down to -40°C/ºF.
- Easy-to-use slip-on ice cleats
- ICETRED™ Ice Cleats easily, comfortably and securely slip on over your boots or shoes in just seconds. They are lightweight and fold small enough to be stored in a backpack, car or coat pocket. The heel-only and mid-sole models can easily slide or rotate to remove them when returning indoors or entering a vehicle.
8. Workers in the petroleum & natural gas industries face different risks than construction or delivery workers. What are some of the ways ICETRED™ can help mitigate some of the risks?
- Slip Prevention in Hazardous Environments: Workers in the petroleum and natural gas industries often deal with outdoor environments where ice and snow can create slippery surfaces. ICETRED™ traction devices provide enhanced traction, reducing the risk of slips and falls on icy surfaces around drilling sites, pipelines or storage facilities.
- Enhanced Stability on Uneven Terrain: Petroleum and natural gas facilities may have uneven terrain, especially in remote or outdoor locations. Ice cleats can help workers maintain stability on irregular surfaces, preventing accidents and injuries related to uneven ground conditions.
- Durability in Harsh Environments: Petroleum and natural gas facilities often expose workers to harsh weather conditions and rough terrains. Ice cleats with durable materials and construction can withstand these challenging environments, providing long-lasting protection and reducing the frequency of equipment replacement.
- Quick and Easy Application: In fast-paced industrial environments, having ice cleats that are easy to put on and take off allows workers to adapt quickly to changing conditions. This adaptability can be particularly valuable in emergency situations or when transitioning between indoor and outdoor areas.
- Customized Traction Solutions: Different areas within petroleum and natural gas facilities may present varying levels of slip hazards. ICETRED™ traction devices offer customizable traction solutions that enable workers to adapt to specific conditions, providing optimal safety in diverse environments.
- Spark Hazard: In the petroleum and natural gas industries, they are working in areas with combustible gases. All ICETRED™ traction devices use tungsten carbide spikes that have been third-party tested not to cause a spark on contact and can be used in gas groups A – D CSA C22.2 No. 213-17 combustibility testing protocol.
9. Surface miners and oil & gas industry workers can often work in environments where petroleum-based products or other substances could ignite or explode in the presence of a spark. How do employers ensure that the ice cleats their workforce is wearing does not pose an ignition hazard?
All Dentec Safety’s ICETRED™ Traction Spikes are third-party tested not to cause a spark on contact and can be used in gas groups A – D CSA C22.2 No. 213-17 combustibility testing protocol.
Share on Socials!